What kind of tourism is voluntourism?
The term voluntourism is a combination of the words volunteer and tourism. It is also sometimes referred to as volunteer travel or volunteer vacation. Voluntourism is a form of tourism in which travelers participate in voluntary work, typically for a charity. Voluntourists range in age and come from all over the world.
What is voluntary work tourism?
A combination of volunteering and tourism, voluntourism is a popular form of international travel. You use your time and energy to help others while exploring a different country and culture. … You can volunteer abroad or do an international internship.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of voluntourism?
The Pros and Cons of Voluntourism
- Con: Some Voluntourists Help for the Wrong Reason. …
- Pro: Gain a New Perspective on the World. …
- Con: Volunteer Companies Can Be Dishonest. …
- Pro: You Can Do Some Good in the Community. …
- Con: The Work From Voluntourism Can Be Inferior. …
- Pro: Voluntourism Can Bring Money to the Community.
What is wrong with voluntourism?
Though only prevalent in the most extreme of cases, voluntourism can indeed lead to an increase in child trafficking. Foreigners’ desire to help children in orphanages, or what is known as ‘orphanage tourism’, can result in children being kidnapped and deliberately placed into ‘orphanages’ to feed this demand.
What are the positive effects of voluntourism?
The best way to understand and appreciate something, it to see and experience it, and voluntourism allows this in a way that not many other forms of tourism do. Another benefit of voluntourism is its role in alleviating poverty. If done in a sustainable manner, voluntourism can help sustain a local economy.
How do you do voluntourism?
Here are the steps you can take to volunteer in your community:
- Decide which causes you care about.
- Identify the skills and knowledge you can offer.
- Create a volunteer resume.
- Determine how often you can volunteer.
- Research volunteer opportunities in your community.
- Consider using a volunteer site.
What is alternative tourism?
Alternative tourism is an umbrella term for all forms of travels opposed to mass tourism. A special attention is paid to economic, social, cultural and environmental considerations. Alternative tourism aims to have a neutral or positive impact on its destinations.